- “Never say never because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” - Michael Jordan
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get back up.” - Vince Lombardi
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” - Wayne Gretzky
- “To uncover your true potential you must first find your own limits and then you have to have the courage to blow past them.” - Picabo Street
- ”There may be people people that have more talent than you , but there is no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” - Derek Jeter
- “Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you.” - Arnold Palmer
- “You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is a real joy.” - Arthur Ashe
- “You can motivate by fear, and you can motivate by reward. But both these methods are only temporary. The lasting thing is self motivation.” - Homer Rice
- “It’s not the size of the man but the size of the heart that matters.” - Evander Holyfield
- “Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it.” - George Halas
By David Watson, AIDA & PADI Master Freediver Instructor and Owner & Founder at One Breath Freediving, based in Malta.
To keep you engaged and inspired during these times of uncertainty and adversity I have pulled together 10 of my favourite inspirational sporting quotes from athletes and coaches. Remember, there is always something you can train or work towards, even if you can’t get to the pool or sea right now. Use this time to work on mental toughness, pre-dive routine, breath hold training....there are still many options to improve yourself. I hope these quotes can help you on your way towards your goals.
Do you have another favourite sporting quote to share, maybe one that has really helped motivate or inspire you in the past. If so, add it to the comments below.
Find out what the One Breath Freediving team is up to with the latest posts on this blog page.